- (-) Remove Bible filter Bible
- (-) Remove Authors: Anson F. Rainey filter Authors: Anson F. Rainey
- (-) Remove Authors: William H.C. Propp filter Authors: William H.C. Propp
- (-) Remove Authors: David Ussishkin filter Authors: David Ussishkin
- (-) Remove Date » Start date: 1979 filter Date » Start date: 1979
- (-) Remove Authors: Dan P. Cole filter Authors: Dan P. Cole
- (-) Remove Authors: Frank Moore Cross filter Authors: Frank Moore Cross
- (-) Remove Authors: Ephraim Stern filter Authors: Ephraim Stern
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 results
How to Pick a Dig
This coming summer more people than ever will join archaeological digs in Israel and elsewhere as volunteer workers. Some will be taking an important early step toward a professional...
Biblical Archaeology Review, March/April 1979
Excavations at Tell Mevorakh Are Prelude to Tell Dor Dig
What a daughter site can tell us about its mother
In 1980, the first spade will sink into Tell Dor. As previously announced in BAR (“Yigael Yadin to Head New Excavation,” BAR 04:04), I will direct the field work at the new excavation. In a sense, however, this excavation began several years...
Biblical Archaeology Review, May/June 1979
Answers at Lachish
Sennacherib’s destruction of Lachish identified; dispute over a century’s difference in Israelite pottery dating resolved by new excavations; stamp impressions of Judean kings finally dated.
Lachish was one of the most important cities of the Biblical era in the Holy Land. The impressive mound, named Tel Lachish in Hebrew or Tell ed-Duweir in Arabic, is situated about 25 miles southwest of Jerusalem in the Judean hills. Once a...
Biblical Archaeology Review, November/December 1979
Phoenicians in Brazil?
Distinguished linguist examines controversial inscription supposedly written by ancient voyagers to the New World.
Of the recurring, often bizarre attempts to find ancient Semitic inscriptions in the western hemisphere, the most prominent and frequently cited concerns the so-called Paraiba...
Biblical Archaeology Review, January/February 1979