- (-) Remove Bible filter Bible
- (-) Remove Authors: William H.C. Propp filter Authors: William H.C. Propp
- (-) Remove Content type: Feature Article filter Content type: Feature Article
- (-) Remove Date » Start date: 1979 filter Date » Start date: 1979
- (-) Remove Authors: Carol Meyers filter Authors: Carol Meyers
- (-) Remove Authors: James Fleming filter Authors: James Fleming
- (-) Remove Authors: Ephraim Stern filter Authors: Ephraim Stern
- (-) Remove Authors: Frank Moore Cross filter Authors: Frank Moore Cross
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 results
Was There a Seven-Branched Lampstand in Solomon’s Temple?
Did Solomon’s temple contain a seven-branched lampstand known as a menorah? Most people answer this question with an automatic “of course.” But the Biblical text is not so clear. The...
Biblical Archaeology Review, September/October 1979
BAR Excavation in Jerusalem Highlights Summer Seminar
Digs uncover exciting Byzantine and Israelite relics.
The following report was prepared by Jim (Yaakov) Fleming, BAR’s Jerusalem correspondent and Director of BAR’s Summer Seminar in Israel. The first BAR-sponsored excavations took place last summer—appropriately enough—in Jerusalem. Not only...
Biblical Archaeology Review, November/December 1979
Excavations at Tell Mevorakh Are Prelude to Tell Dor Dig
What a daughter site can tell us about its mother
In 1980, the first spade will sink into Tell Dor. As previously announced in BAR (“Yigael Yadin to Head New Excavation,” BAR 04:04), I will direct the field work at the new excavation. In a sense, however, this excavation began several years...
Biblical Archaeology Review, May/June 1979
Phoenicians in Brazil?
Distinguished linguist examines controversial inscription supposedly written by ancient voyagers to the New World.
Of the recurring, often bizarre attempts to find ancient Semitic inscriptions in the western hemisphere, the most prominent and frequently cited concerns the so-called Paraiba...
Biblical Archaeology Review, January/February 1979