- (-) Remove Hebrew filter Hebrew
- (-) Remove Bible filter Bible
- (-) Remove Authors: Anson F. Rainey filter Authors: Anson F. Rainey
- (-) Remove Content type: Feature Article filter Content type: Feature Article
- (-) Remove Date » Start date: 1979 filter Date » Start date: 1979
- (-) Remove Authors: Martin A. Cohen filter Authors: Martin A. Cohen
- (-) Remove Authors: James Fleming filter Authors: James Fleming
- (-) Remove Authors: John M. Allegro filter Authors: John M. Allegro
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 results
BAR Excavation in Jerusalem Highlights Summer Seminar
Digs uncover exciting Byzantine and Israelite relics.
The following report was prepared by Jim (Yaakov) Fleming, BAR’s Jerusalem correspondent and Director of BAR’s Summer Seminar in Israel. The first BAR-sponsored excavations took place last summer—appropriately enough—in Jerusalem. Not only...
Biblical Archaeology Review, November/December 1979
Book Excerpt: The Shapira Affair
The late 1880’s in Jerusalem was an age of discovery. On the one hand, textual critics, anthropologists, geologists, and philosophers combined to pour scorn and derision on Scriptural traditions; on the other, archaeology was never so popular...
Biblical Archaeology Review, July/August 1979
The Prophets as Revolutionaries: A Sociopolitical Analysis
Five Biblical prophets—Amos, Hosea, Micah, Isaiah and Jeremiah—scathingly attacked the sacrificial cult practiced in the shrines of ancient Israel and Judah. These prophets all lived in that turbulent 150-year period that began with the death...
Biblical Archaeology Review, May/June 1979