- (-) Remove Testament filter Testament
- (-) Remove Authors: Harold Brodsky filter Authors: Harold Brodsky
- (-) Remove Authors: William H.C. Propp filter Authors: William H.C. Propp
- (-) Remove Authors: Frank Moore Cross filter Authors: Frank Moore Cross
- (-) Remove Date » Start date: 1989 filter Date » Start date: 1989
- (-) Remove Content type: Feature Article filter Content type: Feature Article
- (-) Remove Authors: Marcus J. Borg filter Authors: Marcus J. Borg
- (-) Remove Authors: Alan R. Millard filter Authors: Alan R. Millard
- (-) Remove Authors: W. D. Davies filter Authors: W. D. Davies
- (-) Remove Authors: Philip J. King filter Authors: Philip J. King
- (-) Remove Authors: Arthur J. Droge filter Authors: Arthur J. Droge
- (-) Remove Authors: Roger S. Wieck filter Authors: Roger S. Wieck
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 results
My Odyssey in New Testament Interpretation
Karl Marx, when he was living in Highgate, London, was once asked to address a group of theologians. On his arrival, the meeting place was full of tobacco smoke, and Marx remarked, “Theologians always cloud the issues.” When I remind...
Bible Review, June 1989
The Hebrew Bible in medieval manuscripts
Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any manner of likeness, of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath. … Thou shalt not bow down unto them, nor serve them …” (Exodus 20:4, 5). The Second Commandment’s...
Bible Review, April 1989
Did Paul Commit Suicide?
The question this article will explore may appear disturbing at first sight, and for good reason. Since Augustine’s time, the church has condemned suicide as a sin—a sin beyond redemption, just like apostasy and adultery. How then could Paul...
Bible Review, December 1989
What Did Jesus Really Say?
About 40 scholars, all specialists in the study of the historical Jesus, are seated around a table. They have just completed their discussion of a saying attributed to Jesus in the Gospels. The time has come for each to vote on a simple but...
Bible Review, October 1989
The Great Eighth Century
A century is a wholly arbitrary block of time. History surely does not proceed by 100-year chunks. And to mark the beginning and...
Bible Review, August 1989
Does the Bible Exaggerate King Solomon’s Golden Wealth?
Those who read the Biblical text and make a subjective judgment as to its reliability often conclude—and understandably so—that the descriptions of Solomon’s gold are gross...
Biblical Archaeology Review, May/June 1989